Friday, January 8, 2010

Congratulations to the University of Alabama Crimson Tide!

It's been a long wait, but the Crimson Tide of Alabama won college football's national championship for the 2009 season with a hard-fought 37-21 victory over the Texas Longhorns. The last national championship for the Tide came in 1992 under Coach Gene Stallings. Congratulations to Coach Nick Saban and the Alabama football team for a remarkable season: 14-0 record, a first ever (for Alabama) Heisman Trophy awarded to Mark Ingram, and a signature victory over Florida in the SEC Championship game.

I would be remiss if I did not note that Texas showed a tremendous amount of grit and determination after quarterback Colt McCoy left the game early following an injury to his arm. They played Bama tough, closing the gap to three points in the fourth quarter until Alabama slammed the door with two touchdowns in the closing minutes. Colt McCoy showed a great deal of class and character in his remarks at the end of the game. This young man is a committed Christian and demonstrated poise and grace, despite his injury and disappointment over the loss.

Both teams have much for which to be proud. But the night belonged to Alabama. Congratulations and Roll Tide!
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Personally I am an Auburn fan, but this is a Championship that I am grateful for. My uncle, who passed just before Christmas, was a diehard Bama fan and I know that he was cheering them on and celebrating the win.

    Roll Tide!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very gracious of you! Most of my Auburn-fan friends held their noses and congratulated Bama also. A few just couldn't bring themselves to do so. I'm a Bama fan but I don't dislike Auburn (except in the Iron Bowl, of course.) In bowl games I usually pull for the SEC teams.

    I do have to say, I'm happy that Alabama won the national championship.

    ReplyDelete